Welcome to Saint John the Evangelist Catholic Church!
We celebrate the feast of St John the Evangelist, because he is the Apostle that Jesus loved most - and because he is the one who intercedes before Jesus for our Christian community here in San Marcos. There is nothing more beautiful than having St John as our patron saint.
If we remember, when Jesus met for his last supper with his disciples, the Apostle John is the disciple who was at Jesus' side and placed his face at Jesus' chest to ask him, in that sad moment, who would betray him. We, today, come to the Heart of Jesus, as did St John, to tell him all our troubles, needs, and joys - and to tell him we love him. And we ask him to continue accompanying us in our community of St John's as he has blessed this parish during the past 127 years.
Here is a little of our parish history so as to remember why it was dedicated to St John the Evangelist. Initially, the first priests who came as missionaries to the San Marcos area were Franciscans. They came to evangelize the natives, who lived in this region from 1700 AD to 1750. These missions were abandoned around 1833, when Jesuit Fathers headed by Father John Morendi, began the construction of a small Church made of wood on the hill where part of the University now stands. This first Church was placed under the protection of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
So the first patron of our community was the Virgin Mary. In 1905, Claretian priests arrived and appointed as the Church's first pastor Father Eugene Sugrantes. At noon of April 4, 1915, a fire destroyed the small Church; after this difficult time, all efforts were made toward building a new Church for the San Marcos community. The town of San Marcos belonged as a parish to the Diocese of San Antonio; it was thus that Bishop John Shaw laid the cornerstone on October 11, 1915, and suggested that the new Church be dedicated to God in honor of St John the Evangelist, the bishop's personal name saint.
In 1970, Easter Sunday, this new church, where we are today, was opened for worshiping to the community by father Joseph Bochenski. My brothers and sisters, as we see, our Church is built on the faith and love of many families, priests, deacons, and faithful people, for 127 years. It has been growing and spreading from generation to generation in the faith of Jesus Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary, and in the Sacraments of the Church.
Even today we continue celebrating the funerals of people who dedicated their lives to build this Church in faith and love. Today when we celebrate the feast of St John, let us continue following his teachings. St John in his old age wrote three letters to his communities advising them to love one another. Our community is inspired by the teachings of love and forgiveness. That is what makes us brothers and sisters.